Sunday, April 22, 2007

Live It! Love It! Hong Kong!

prior to march 9, 2007, i have never ever been to hong kong. okay, there was this time when i missed my flight back to manila coming home from portland, oregon, and i had to stay the night in kowloon. although, back then, i didn't know i was in kowloon (actually, the hotel i stayed in was located in tsuen wan, which is in the new territories, which is not anymore kowloon). when it was clear i wasn't going to make it to my connecting flight, the people from united airlines (it was a delayed departure from san francisco that caused this entire chain of setbacks) led me to a bus, which dropped me off at the hotel i stayed in, which picked me up early the following morning, which brought me back to the airport, where i caught my rescheduled flight. when i got back to manila, i thought nothing more of my little hong kong jaunt (i owe it to my irrational dislike for hong kong back then).

but after march 9, 2007, everything changed. climbing out of tsim sha tsui station and stepping onto nathan road for the very first time, i thought i had stepped out of the subway in new york. at the end of my first day, although weighed down by shopping bags from my first shopping spree in hong kong, it was clear that whatever animosity i carried with me for this place was obviously misplaced and was now lifted. my heart was beating fast. cynic that i was, i had now, willingly and eagerly, fallen in love.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Yehey Jeryc,

I viewed some of your images at flicker but it is always the story from the traveler that is really interesting and add the unique flavor to the story.

I've been to HK before circa 1995 as a stopover from my trip to Kathmandu, Nepal. I guess for me it was different as I enjoyed Kowloon looking for my first ever Lowe Alpine pack.

Will be visiting as a family this July :) would love to hear some tip from you :) we miss you na!

estan said...

Naks! Shopping to the max pare a :p

Well, HK really is another place that's beautiful. I've been there last year and even though di ako masyado naka pasyal due to limited time, it was just enough to impress me with its modernity.

Carver said...

Hello paré!!! :-) I should be visiting HK in the near future. Can't wait to see what goes on there. Ingat lagi!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...